“In recent months, I’ve been doing my best to save water. Yet somehow, my water bill is actually higher than it was before! Am I being overcharged?”

— Tatum O, 59, resident, Los Angeles, CA


Hopefully not, but it’s possible.

First, contact park management. If the park can’t help you, call your county’s Sealer (Weights and Measures) and request an examination of your meter.

You can also file a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The CPUC makes sure that residents are charged the same rate as if they were billed directly by the utility. However, this is only if your park’s water utility is regulated by the CPUC; the majority of parks are instead served by municipalities, utility districts, or the park’s own water-well system. On occasion, the CPUC may still take complaints from residents of non-CPUC regulated parks, but it’s uncommon.

In the meantime, you should check your home and fixtures for plumbing leaks.

Each situation is different, depending on each park and its regional jurisdiction. Beyond these options, you should consider filing a complaint to your own respective governing board or water district responsible for furnishing water to your park.


  • Contact park management first.
  • Call your county’s Sealer of Weights and Measures office.
  • You can file a complaint with the CPUC, but they usually only examine CPUC-regulated utility systems.
  • Check your home for plumbing leaks.
  • File complaints directly with the local governing board responsible for furnishing your water.

Source: California Mobilehome Residency Law 2023