“I manage a mobile home park that is scheduled for construction. Do I have to call the local utility company before we begin?”

— Bob H, park manager, Santa Rosa, CA


You are right that you want to inform your local utility service of your construction plans, but there is an easier way than working directly with the utility service.

Instead, dial 811. 811 is the national call-before-you-dig phone number. You will be connected to the appropriate regional notification center, and they will contact the subsurface installation operators responsible for installing the utility services. They will mark the service lines that they operate within the construction area. (Government Code §4216.2)


  • You don’t need to call local utilities directly.
  • Call 811; they will inform the appropriate operators of your construction plans.


Source: California Mobilehome Residency Law 2023