“I received a citation from my park management and I am expected to pay for it to be fixed. Are there any financial assistance programs available to help me correct it?”

-Rebecca O. (43), resident, Des Moines, IA


Yes! There are financial assistance programs available to help low income residents and homeowners with home rehabilitation and repair costs.

Many cities and counties have housing or community development departments that offer grants or loans to eligible residents facing code violations. Community Development Block Grants (CDBGs) are funds allocated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to state and local governments. Some municipalities use a portion of these funds to help support these programs.

Additionally, some nonprofit organizations focus on housing and community development and offer financial assistance to eligible residents. These programs may be named after the organization itself or have names like “Housing Improvement Program” or “Home Repair Grant.”

Finally, some Department of Energy programs like the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) and the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) may be able to address certain code violations depending on the issue. These programs are primarily designed to assist with energy-related costs, but some states extend assistance to address other health and safety issues.

It’s important to remember that the availability and scope of these programs can differ between states and localities. For specific details on programs available in your area, including eligibility requirements and application processes, you should reach out to your local housing or community development department and check the official websites of the relevant agencies and organizations.


  • Some state and local governments offer grants to low income residents and homeowners for addressing violations.
  • Non-profit organizations may also assist eligible residents with home repair and rehabilitation costs.
  • Specific programs and resident eligibility may vary between states and localities.