Published by
December 14, 2022
Oakland, CA

In cases where you have taken out a loan for your mobile home or manufactured home, the lender must be listed as the legal owner of the home on the Certificate of Title*. This means that there is a lien that prevents you from selling your property. To be able to sell the property, the loan must be paid off and the lien removed by removing the lender from the Certificate of Title.

Generally, once you have paid off the loan, the lender should sign the back of your Certificate of Title in order to officially transfer ownership to you. If the lender is a company, an authorized person must provide the releasing signature. If the lender does not have the Certificate of Title, then a Lien Satisfied form should be completed as an alternative.

If your lender was a bank that has since gone out of business, please visit the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) website for additional assistance.

*The Certificate of Title for a mobile home is a legal form establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle. The title contains the owner’s name and address and other details about the mobile home.