“I am a homeowner, but I can’t find the physical title or the registration anywhere. Can I get a copy somewhere?”

-Sam H. (28), resident, Wisconsin Dells, WI


Most likely, you will need to contact your state’s Department of Housing agency. From there, you can reach the department’s division for registration and titling. They will be able to provide you with physical copies of your documentation as a homeowner.

Be prepared provide the agency with as much information as you have available to verify your identity and your property, such as your social security information or tax documents. The agency may require you to fill out specific forms or applications to verify your ownership of the property. Note that you may be required to pay a fee to obtain a duplicate copy of the title or registration.

Finally, once you secure your requested documents, make sure to store them in a safe and secure location. These documents are very important to have safe and readily available to verify your rights as the homeowner of your property.


  • Contact your state’s Department of Housing agency to request a copy of your title or registration.